Jury Duty Watch 2010


So, I received a summons for jury duty to report on October 14th to the Superior Court of San Diego.  Then a couple of days later, I received a second summons to report on October 19th.  Kevin thought it was hilarious, yet two summons for the same court -how can that be random?

Anyway, I served my duty and was surprised at all the pomp and circumstance that the courts bestowed on the judicial process.  The morning began promptly at 7:45 am with security check-point scans and then the festivities commenced with a court judge welcoming everyone and thanking them for their civic duty.  We then were instructed how to complete the form and update how many days our employer would pay for jury duty service.  (When does it become a private business obligation to support the judicial process?)  The commentaries were patriotic and inspiring, continuing throughout the day with even the bailiff, juror staff, and my potential judge.  After various individuals were called and a break was given for the waiting room, I was called to go upstairs along with 47 other potential jurors.  Fortunately, my name was toward the end of the 48 called, which is how I was passed by for selection of a jury panel, and appreciative to be released at 4:20 pm after sitting through the inquisitions from the judge and the attorney's to the other individuals.  I was merely in the holding pin awaiting questioning should the first 24 not pass the litmus test.  This particular civic case would have been a two-week trial dealing with insurance and real-estate shenanigans, and involved five different entities (3 people and 2 companies) plus 3 different attorney's.

I will anxiously await for my random selection in one year.  Let's see how long that will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment