Monday Play Dates

Kate, Ashley & Azu working
on their video / movie
In honor of Martin Luther King, the kids and I had Monday off but Kevin unfortunately had to work.  Since I did not have to work and the kids wanted play dates, we let them invite a friend to come over for the day with us.  Ironically, that number doubled somehow so by noontime I was watching 6 kids, but the more the merrier, right?

Random thought - Why are we off for the day?  I always question why we recognize MLK with time off since he was an advocate for equality and furthering education.  I'm discounting that he be remembered for his actions, but I think he may question why companies are closed and the schools not opened.  It just seems to be a contradiction of his beliefs.  Just one of those things that makes me go, hmmm.  (Now back the regularly scheduled blog previously in progress.)
Eli, Brandon & David playing
air hockey in the garage

With a group of kids and clear delineation of two different groups (the girls and the boys), I had my hands full.  Ashley and her two girlfriends decided to work on their science fair project first and then play afterwards.  They focused on science until lunch, and after a meal of hot dogs, macaroni & cheese, rice, sushi, and furikake, they went outside and started writing a script so they could make a movie.  Using the flip camera we have (which all kids love for some reason), they would shoot different scenes.  Azu was more behind the scenes and did not want camera time, while Kate was all about being the star.  They each have different personalities, so it's great to see that.

Lemonade for sale - 50¢ a cup
The boys on the otherhand were nothing but action oriented, and it was pulling teeth trying to get them to eat lunch.  Brandon and his friend, Eli, were playing either Wii, Xbox, pee-wee basketball, ping pong, or air hockey, until one of the neighbor boys came down and they decided they wanted to wrestle.  Oh boy!

Overall, it was a fun day and nice to hang out with their friends and chat, but it was not a slow and relaxing day for me - that just doesn't happen when kids are involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment